Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Penitent's Tale - Part 2

A man in a coat and hat is dragging a reluctant woman in a Sunday dress down the length of the hall. The woodcarver stands up and removes his leather apron, revealing a shirt of chain links and an intricately carved wooden pendant in the shape of a bow and arrow. His smile at the sight of the woman turns to a frown at the gentleman at her side. Others look up from their work at similar tables to watch the well-dressed couple breeze past them

“You!”, roars the gentleman. “You did this to my Rosilla!”

The woman is pulled up short by her arm - the disarray of her raven hair and flush of her full cheeks seeming only to enhance her beauty. Her big blue eyes land on the woodcarver with a mischievous look.

Rosilla: “No! Don’t let him near me! He threatens everything!”

Woodcarver: “I’m sure I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Gentleman: “Have no fear, my dear. I won’t let him anywhere near you.” Turning to the woodcarver, the gentleman pulls off a leather glove, one finger at a time - then flings it directly in his face.

“Akiros Ismort - you have violated the virtue of my wife and I demand justice!”, he bellows.

The woodcarver’s jaw drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment